Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Bacchus and Christopher

A few nights ago, Chrsitopher's friend Bacchus slept over. His real name is something Biblical, so I decided to change it to something pagan for good measure. He and Christopher both go to the same school, which is a Christian school that, in the interest of privacy, I will call St. Zeus's Academy for Future Gods and Goddesses.  Bacchus is a small, skinny kid with black-framed glasses, and I swear I will marry this boy off to one of my daughters if I have any say in the matter. Not only is he incredibly smart and makes good grades, which I attribute to the power of his glasses, but when I picked up he and Christopher in aftercare, we had the following conversation:
"Hey, Bacchus," I said, strolling into the gym, which is where they keep the Future Gods and Goddesses of aftercare. "You ready to come to our house? Do you have all your stuff?"
"Yes. And I have the one thing that every sleep over needs..." he knelt in front of his school bag and reached inside. "Duct tape!" he said, brandishing the silver roll.
"Uh...what are we going to use that for?"
"I don't know. Just in case something comes up."

This enthralled me. What could come up that was duct tape worthy? A flat tire? A broken Wii remote? Thirst? I spent most of that evening asking Bacchus if we needed the duct tape.
"Bacchus, I'm parking the car. Do we need the duct tape?"
"No, Miss Genevieve."
"Hey Bacchus, I'm out of butter for the pancakes. Do we need duct tape?"
"No, Miss Genevieve. That would be gross."
"I suppose. What if I broke a plate? Could we use it then?"
"Yeah, I think so. Is there a broken plate?"
"No. Not yet. You're being too careful with it, look, it won't break that way. Don't set your plate on the table. Set it on the dog."
"I don't think she'd like that."
"Ooooh! Fine. Keep your duct tape, I don't need to see it in action."
"Christopher," he said to my son, who has had nine years to get used to me. "Is your mom always like this?"
"Yes," Christopher said.
"Ok. I like it," said Bacchus, pushing his glasses back.
That's how this kid talks. Monotone, even when he's excited, and especally when he's serious. Which is a lot.
Take for instance, our conversation about slang. He and I have a similar distaste for the term "brain fart."
"My nanny says it when she forgets something. She says 'uh oh, brain fart,' and she thinks it's funny. But I prefer to say 'I forgot' because it's not disgusting."
"Me too," I said. "And everyone says it. Even smart people who you wouldn't imagine saying such a crass word."
"Yeah! It's true! Everyone says it! Why do they do that?"
I said that I didn't know and we shook our heads at a world of brain gas that we didn't understand.
Sometimes Claire uses that term and she probably would have defended it if she'd been in the car, but the girls were at a freind's house for a sleep over, so it was just me and the boys.
"We're going to stop at Subway for dinner, guys," I told them. Then I remembered that I didn't know what this kid liked. The nanny had told me that he was allergic to shrimp, which left everything else open. But still, kids can be weird about food. Maybe just the thought of sandwiches made him wet his pants. "Bacchus, you ok with that?"
"Yeah, that's good."
"I just want a six-inch sandwich this time, Mom," said Christopher, who'd been knocking out foot longs lately. "I want to watch my portions."
"Are you on a diet?" Bacchus asked. "They say kids shouldn't diet, it's bad for them."
"No, I'm not on a diet. I just...well...when I get older and I have a girlfriend, when I go to the beach and I take off my shirt I want to show her that I have muscles."
"Dude," Bacchus said, leveling with him. "Girls don't care about a guy's molecular structure."
"Um...do you mean a muscular structure, Bacchus?"
"Oh, yes," he said.
"Because a girl's got to have some standards and most of them like molecules in a man."
"Of course."
During this conversation Christopher had begun convulsing with laughter, and then I felt bad about interrupting. Here were two nine year old boys having a serious conversation about looks, girls, and diets, and I'd interrupted to correct one of them. I should have been filming it.
Bacchus looked over at Christopher who was hanging loosely in his seat belt with his hands over his eyes. "Molecular structure!" he giggled.
"He's not going to stop is he?" assked Bacchus.
"No," I said. "Maybe now's a good time for duct tape."
Bacchus smiled. "Maybe so."

Then the two of them played computer games and talked until they fell asleep. I brought Bacchus home the next day and met with the nanny. He lives with his father, who's a surgeon and who is seldom home. But the nanny I've met a few times and I let her know that I think Bacchus is a great kid, and he's welcome over any time. Even if he didn't use the duct tape.

5 comments:

  1. All hail Bacchus, a fresh breeze amongst the uniformity of nine-year-old boys. Incidentally, a breeze comes from a "duct."

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's The DDO? Oh, The Daily Dylanson Obituaries?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story - and my son, Neptune is a big believer that tape can fix anything. I keep trying to convince him that duct tape will work better in most situations than scotch tape, but he likes to use all of my scotch tape instead. He has a birthday coming up...I'm thinking duct tape might need to be on the gift list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THAT is what I plan to get Bacchus for Christmas!....Hee hee, Neptune.

    ReplyDelete